DRAPE LIKE A PRO Vol. 1:
YOUR FABRIC DRAPING GUIDE
If you’ve ever ogled at the beautiful drapery in the elegant drawing room of a well-to do businessman, or on supermodels as they walk down the runway and flourish the creations of their designers, we have something to tell you about draping, in this post!
Draping is the 3-dimensional process, used in the fashion industry, to create a pattern for a particular design. But it’s also the process you would use to drape your curtains.
Here are a few tips to set you on the right path to draping success and picking fabrics:
Image Credit: The Sustainable Fashion Collective
Picking the Ideal Draping Fabric
Fabric weight, texture and transparency all play important roles in the overall ambiance of a room, or the look and feel of a dress, and are a key element to consider when choosing drapery fabric.
For Your Home and Curtains
- Lightweight Drapery Fabrics: Cotton and linen are airy and will allow light to pass through and create a breezy effect. You might consider this fabric option in a kitchen, laundry room or bathroom where you’d want to diffuse more light.
- Heavyweight Drapery Fabrics: Velvet and damask are opaque fabrics and will block more light. They fall in heavier folds, creating a warmer, opulent and more romantic mood in living rooms and bedrooms. If you’re looking to control light and visibility in spaces like bathrooms and bedrooms,this is the fabric for you.
Image Credit: Pinterest / Cucicucicoo
- Jersey is a great fabric to drape with. If you use something thin, like rayon, it’s light and fluid, and the stretch makes it much easier to control.
- If you’re looking for an airy, summery vibe, Voiles are also a great option. They’re thin and incredibly light.
- Perhaps you may want to go the opposite direction, and create volume with your next drape? For that, you’ll want to work with a gazar or organza
- For something classic, you can choose to drape a charmeuse, or china silk. They’ll both look incredibly fluid and flawless on a dress form.
Image Credit: Pinterest
For Wedding Drapes
- Light and airy, crisp and clean: Sheer Voile is an excellent choice for a fairytale-inspired wedding ceremony drapery! White Sheer Voile is the most popular option for weddings, especially when combined with lighting for dramatic effect. Even sans lighting, Voile fabric is also available in a huge variety of colors, like Red, Royal Blue, Silver, and Pink, which you can pick depending on the wedding theme colour.
- Poly Premier fabric is elegant, yet subtle, making it a great option for any grand event - not restricted to weddings. These drapes have a texture similar to the fabric that’s used to cover tables at fine dining restaurants, which offers both romance and sophistication.
- The lovely sheen of Poly Satin drapes make it another splendid choice for wedding ceremony drapery. With a beautifully glossy finish, this fabric helps create the perfect romantic setting!
If you have any questions about our fabrics, feel free to contact us. We’re committed to offering nothing less than the best, so you can have the fabric of your dreams!